We offer the following types:
- Courses - usually several days,
- Workshops - usually shorter
Location and schedule
If not stated otherwise all courses take place in the premises of the ZDV on Campus of Johannes Gutenberg University. Please check the precise location for the course as the lecture rooms may vary between courses. Lecture room and lecture times will be send to the participants in advance.
The same is valid for courses to be hold online: URLs will be announced to the participants in advance.
For all course that require the use of our HPC systems we arrange course accounts for the participants - if not stated otherwise. Please mind that the course accounts will be deleted after the course finished.
- Participants should be able to write on a keyboard
- Without signing up you can't join the course.
- Please inform us as early as possible if you can't participate your course. We reserve the right to exclude participants from future courses that didn't show up without resigning.
- Participants should be interested in HPC or expect to use HPC resources soon. Non-HPC-Users may participate but we reserve the right to exclude those.
- Our courses and especially the Introduction to HPC require the participants to know basic shell usage. If you don't know shell you may want to sign up for our Bash-Intro
- The standard language is English (if not all participants are fluent in German).
- Many faculties offer the possibility to get ECTS points - details are to be asked at your faculty. The HPC-Team only offers a Certificate of attendance.
- Additional requirements are denoted at each course if applicable
A course usually needs at least 15 participants. A workshop needs at least 6 participants. If less participants sign up we may cancel a course or a workshop.
How can I sign up for a course/workshop?
We use Ilias-Elearning-System for our courses. Third party courses may use other booking systems.
- It's required to log in to Ilias with an University-Account. Every HPC user has an University-Account. You can check on the Account-Website. If you don't have an University-Account:
- Depending on your language settings you have to press "Beitreten" or "Join" at the selected course.
What if the course is full?
Please still sign up - there's a waiting list. Sometimes you could get a seat if somebody resigns. Anyways, the amount of participants is an indicator for us to adapt our course program.
HPC-Certification Forum Links
The following table offers links to the HPC-Certification Forum. These links show the skill descriptions of the core skills that you shall learn in each course. This shall offer the possibility to compare course content with other participating institutions to find fitting courses.
|Name||Type||Content||Date||Lecturer||Room||HPC-CF Skillset (only main skillset)||sign up link|
|Bash-Intro||course||Introduction to Shellscripting (Bash)||7. and 8.July 2021||HPC-group (Meesters)||online course||USE1-B||link|
|HPC-Intro||course||Introduction to Cluster Computing||14. and 15. July 2021||HPC-group (Meesters)||online course||USE1-B||link|
|git advanced course||course||source code management for advanced git users||14. Sep. 2021||Unix-group (Steinkamp)||online course||SD3.2-B||link|
|git introductory course||course||source code management for advanced git users||16. Sep. 2021||Unix-group (Steinkamp)||online course||SD3.2-B||link|
|Research Datamanagement||presentation||Introduction to the ZDV research data management facilities on our HPC systems||21. July 2021||Unix-group (Steinkamp) / |
|online presentation||not applicable||link|
|Introduction to C++||course||Programming C++ for Beginners||20. to 24. September 2021||HPC-group (Meesters/N.N.)||KR4 if possible, else online||SD-B||link|
|SeqAn-Workshop||workshop||Using the SeqAn-C++-Library for Sequence Analysis||30. September 2020||HPC-group (Meesters)||KR4 if possible, else online||not applicable||link|
|Bash-Intro||course||Introduction to Shellscripting (Bash)||17. and 18. November 2021||HPC-group (Meesters)||KR4 if possible, else online||USE1-B||to be announced|
|HPC-Intro||course||Introduction to Cluster Computing||24. and 25. November 2021||HPC-group (Meesters)||KR4 if possible, else online||USE1-B||to be announced|
|Introduction to Python||course||Programming Python for Beginners||6. to 9. December 2021||HPC-group (Meesters)||KR4 if possible, else online||SD-B||link|